Friday, April 26, 2019

You Make Your Own Path


Okay, I admit it: I’ve taken a strange and winding path over the last few years, and now I’m totally obsessed with Andean history. When I started researching the Incas, my goal was to establish a foundation for writing a sequel to Chaturanga. But one thing led to another and now I’m making videos and posting about ancient architecture, mythology, metaphysics, and geocosmic alignments.


(Above) Standing next to the Machu Picchu's Sun Gate (Intipunku), overlooking the mysterious "lost city of the Incas."

What happened, you ask? Consuming books and delving back through ancient texts, I’m both shocked and fascinated by how little we truly know about our past. The linear version of history that I was taught in school – largely based upon huge assumptions, yet which I accepted without a second thought – is rapidly being disrupted by new discoveries and theories. The more I learn about ancient Peru (and its counterparts around the world), the more I appreciate that history is, indeed, a vast and mysterious frontier for the modern-day explorer.

No doubt about it, there is still plenty to discover in this world – not only at the bottoms of oceans or interiors of jungles, but in our past, our future, our minds, and our souls. It’s an exciting time for those who crave knowledge, understanding, and adventure.

For those who know me and/or have read Chaturanga, this may all seem a bit strange. Don’t worry, I’ll be back to writing about Patrick Eaton (or someone like him) soon enough. For now, I’m just enjoying the ride, keeping in mind one of the many great quotes by Joseph Campbell: “If you can see your path laid out in front of you step by step, you know it's not your pathYour own path you make with every step you take. That's why it's your path.” Who knows where this path will end up, but at least I’m enjoying every step!

Till next time, don't stop exploring!

Andrew C. Katen

©2019 Andrew C. Katen. All rights reserved. Feel free to republish so long as credit is given.

No comments: